Mold In Your Dishwasher: What To Do

Your dirty dishes are placed in the dishwasher, then you add soap to it. After an hour, your dishes will be clean. What in the world is it possible to have mold in your dishwasher?! You wouldn’t believe mold could grow in your dishwasher, which is always cleaned with hot water and soap every cycle. Mold can and will grow inside your dishwasher.

According to some reports, up to 62% dishwashers contain mold. This means that if you take a clean plate and some silverware, and then sit down to a healthy meal, it is possible that you are eating mold or moldspores. This is a horrible thought!

What causes dishwasher mold?

Mold needs only a few things to survive. Let’s see if your dishwasher meets these essential needs. Yes, there is moisture. A dishwasher can run a lot of water, and you can see steam when the dishwasher goes through its drying cycle. That answers the question about warmth. Except when you’re loading it or unloading, dishwashers are always dark. What about organic material?

What is the point of washing dishes? Sounds like a dumb question. This is because leftovers are always left over from a meal, including silverware and cooking pots. This is where organics come in.

You might say that all that stuff is washed down the dishwasher’s sink. Unfortunately, this is not always true. You say that hot water and soap kill most molds. However, some molds can survive a dishwasher cycle. Another thing you might not know is that most dishwashing products contain a small amount of salt. Salt is a common ingredient in dishwashing products. Salt is also something mildews and molds love.

Is Dishwasher Mold Making You Sick?

Yes, it can. Mold exposure can happen if you are inhaled or sit near it. Consuming mold can be even more hazardous. We are not talking about blue cheese.

According to the EPA, mold can cause illness. You may experience symptoms such as sneezing and coughing, skin rashes, and red eyes. These allergic reactions may be immediate or delayed.

The reactions of asthmatics or people who are sensitive to molds can make things worse. In these cases, the symptoms could also lead to respiratory problems. Patients undergoing chemotherapy or HIV/Aids treatment could be at greater risk.

Clean a Moldy Dishwasher

You don’t need to do a thorough cleaning. Just scrub the dishwasher with soap and water.

  • If possible, remove the strainer and racks around the drain and wash them separately in the sink.
  • Brush any rubber or plastic parts in the dishwasher with a brush or a toothbrush.
  • You should pay particular attention to cleaning the seals on both sides of your door.
  • Wipe down the sides as well as the inside of your door.

After cleaning, you can run a disinfecting process. This should not be done with chlorine bleach. While chlorine beach is great for countertops and other hard surfaces, it can also damage your dishwasher’s internal components or any metal trim. Bleach can cause corrosion, especially on metal surfaces. Bleach can cause fading and brownishing of stainless steel.

Use some vinegar instead. Vinegar is inexpensive and will kill most bacteria and molds. Vinegar has been shown to kill 98% of all bacteria strains, and 82% of all mold species. Vinegar can be used in a number of ways.

How to keep mold away

The best way to stop mold growth in your dishwasher is to open the door when not in use. You don’t have to open the door completely, but you can crack it slightly. If necessary, you can open it a little. This will allow for some light and air movement to the dishwasher. Mold doesn’t like light or air movement. It is recommended that you clean your dishwasher at the very least once per month.

Your dishwasher’s life expectancy will be extended if it is kept clean and free from food debris. The drain strainer should be kept clean and free from food debris. This will help keep your dishwasher running smoothly and prevent water from leaking onto your floors.

If you have mold problems, we can help.

A handyman should not be contacted if you find mold in your dishwasher, or any other part of your home. Mold can be hazardous and it doesn’t just affect you. Mold can also affect your family members, and your pets. You will need to hire a certified mold remediation expert.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.